Spring Meeting, Presentation & Dinner
Please join the Voluntown Historical Society at the Tamarack Lodge for an exciting presentation during our Annual memberhip meeting and dinner 
on Thursday, May 16th at 6pm.

“Guns of Norwich”
Norwich was home to over twenty firearms manufacturers through the 1800’s until around the1930’s. Join us on May 16 we host a Spring dinner presentation at Tamarack Lodge with guest speaker, Mr. Ed Tollmann from the Guns of Norwich Historical Society. Ed will talk about the history of firearms manufacturing in Norwich, CT. He will also have a selection of antique guns on display during the presentation.

Served family style, the menu for the evening features Penne Pasta with Bolognese Sauce,
Garden Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, Dinner Rolls, Chocolate & Vanilla Cake, and Coffee.

Dinner will be served at 6:00 pm, followed by the “Guns of Norwich” presentation at 6:45pm.   

Dinner and presentation tickets are $20 per person.  Presentation only, $5 suggested donation per person. 

Seating is limited.  Buy your tickets now!

1 Spring Dinner Ticket
  Wylie School House Restoration Fundraiser
Our Wylie School House is in need of significant repairs. 

Please consider making a donation to help support the costs associated with the needed repairs;
exterior woodwork repair and replacement, and
removal of exterior lead paint (full structure) and repaint.

Estimated costs for these repairs are over $18,000.  While we have recieved a matching grant from The Last Green Valley, in the amount of $4,000, and the Town of Voluntown has a $9,000 budget, we are still in need of funding the remaining costs.

Wylie School House FAQ's-

*The structure is located at 531 Ekonk Hill Road, at the intersection of Ekonk Hill Road and Wylie School Road. 
*The one room school house was built in 1850. 
*In the early days of education in Voluntown, there were originally 10 school districts, each with their own one-room schoolhouse under the supervision of a “grandschool-committee-man” appointed by the town. 
*The school was given by Henry Wylie in 1858 to the Voluntown tenth district for as long as a school house was maintained on the one-quarter acre property.  
*In 1909, the town voted to consolidate the ten schools into two: a rural school (Wylie School) and a village school (Center School). 
*Wylie School is the lone survivor of Voluntown’s one room schoolhouses.  
*The town still has several residents who attended Wylie School before it closed 
 *The schooclosed in 1939. 
*The Wylie School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.   

Please consider supporting this important cause.
Important Announcement
In an effort to keep this organization viable, several changes have been made to the By-Laws; including, Officers, frequency of meetings and standing committees.  The newly revised By-Laws are attached for your convenience.

2018  VHS By-Laws

The Voluntown Historical Society

About Us


Join Us

The Voluntown Historical Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting a better understanding of Voluntown’s unique heritage by education, preservation, and sharing our resources with the community, and establishing its relevance to the development of our country.
The Voluntown Historical Society meets quarterly throughout the year. Dates, times and locations will be posted here.

Our next Summer meeting will be held in August!

Please join us!
Anyone insterested in joining our cause is welcome to attend our meetings and meet our fantastic members.  We request that members pay an annual fee of $20 per year, due in June.



President - Jen Panko
Vice President - Winona Berdine
Secretaries - Cheryl Sadowski & Beth Taylor
Treasurer - Julie Soto

Voluntown History

Voluntown history begins around 1696.  Pris froor to that time this part of Eastern Connecticut was primarily inhabited by various tribes of Indians who waged wars among themselves and with colonists from Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.  Pequots, Narragansetts, Mohegans, Wampanoags, Nipmunks and Pokanoets all played part in the early history.

King Philip's War (1675-1676) ended with the death of King Philip (Indian name Metacom, second son of Massasoit, sachem of several tribes) on August 12, 1676.  After the war, the Mohegans and Quinebaugs laid claim to the Voluntown area until 1705.

In 1643, the New England Confederation, a loose union to settly border disputes, was formed by Connecticut, New Haven, Plymouth and the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

In 1696, Lt. Thomas Leffingwell of Norwich and Sgt. John Frink of Stonington had petitioned agains the Assembly of New Haven for a Plantation for settlers who had found against the Indians.  Subsequently, although it took 9 years, a six mile square 160 lot plantation was granted - called Volunteer Town.  Disputes over boundaries occured for the next 16 years.  Swamps, rocks and poor soil made the area not very attractive.  Finally in 1721 Voluntown was incorporated.